Abhyanga moves the body from a state of imbalance to equilibrium, from stress response to ease, from clogged toxins to freely circulating vital energy. This ritual is most beneficial when performed to open or close your day.
- Select your desired body oil.
- Pour your oil into a glass bottle, then warm it slowly by placing that bottle into a mug of hot water for a few minutes.
- While the oil is warming, perform a dry body brush to exfoliate your skin, preparing it for oil absorption.
- Place a towel down to avoid stains on fabrics or slips.
- Dispense the warm oil into your palm. Using long, rhythmic strokes apply oil over your body. Perform circular strokes on knees, elbows, and other joints. During your ritual, quietly express and give thanks to your body for all it does for you.
- Apply a small amount of the oil to your head and face. Use circular strokes on your scalp and gentle pinching on your ears.
- Let the oil absorb for about five minutes, practice some mindful breathwork. Using a clean towel, remove excess oil or, immerse yourself in warm water, allowing further absorption.